(Sheriff-Community Relations Advisory Board)
The Sheriff-Community Relations Advisory Board was established by resolution of the Allegan County Board of Commissioners at their June 27, 2002 meeting. As their first task, the County Commission charged the group with spearheading the process of resolving the deficiencies in the Sheriff’s facilities and operations.
The purpose of the board, as stated in the by-laws, is "to act as an official liaison between the Sheriff’s Office and the surrounding communities and citizens of Allegan County, to provide guidance, input and recommendations with respect to policies, programs and conditions at the Sheriff’s Office, to make relevant information known to the community, and to encourage community interest and involvement in the Sheriff’s Office."
The board’s by-laws determine procedures for the board and officer’s duties.
Meetings are scheduled quarterly, or more frequently if needed. Meetings are open to the public. Those citizens who have complaints or matters properly the business of the Board shall be allowed to address the Board at regular meetings. Prior notification and/or a written statement regarding a complaint or concern by the aggrieved party, including those of Board members, will be provided to the Sheriff twenty-four (24) hours prior to the next Board meeting.
Board membership consists of thirteen (13) community representatives to be confirmed by the Board of Commissioners.
SCRAB also serves as the Council for the Allegan County Citizen Corps. This Corps includes volunteers from several different community groups, including:
- Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)
- Neighborhood Watch Program
- Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS)
- Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services (RACES)
These groups will help supplement first responders during times of disaster, and will also assist in educating and training the public in ways to prevent, prepare for, and respond after a disaster. Together, this group will help to make Allegan County a safer and more secure place to live, work, and visit.
Members of the 2011 SCRAB board are:
front row, L-R: Larry "Casey" Jones, Marsha Fisher, Roger VanVolkinburg, Sheriff Blaine Koops
back row, L-R: Becky Hosley, Bart Shaw, Bob Scanlan, Steve Schultz, Chris Haverdink, Kirk Harrier, Chief Bill Bomar
- 1 representative of the Board of Commissioners from a 3 member ad-hoc panel appointed by the County Commission Board Chairperson (2-year term)
- 2 representatives from Michigan Township Association of Allegan County (1-year term)
- 1 representative from the Allegan County Prosecutor’s Office (3-year term)
- 1 representative from the Allegan County Law Enforcement Council (2-year term)
- 1 representative from a Municipality in Allegan County (2-year term)
- 1 representative from the Allegan County Firefighter’s Association (2-year term)
- 1 representative from a union in place at the Sheriff’s Office, rotating on an annual basis (1-year term)
- 3 citizens-at-large, 1 representing business, 1 representing area churches and 1 representing education (1-year terms)
- 1 representative from the Dispatch Advisory Board (3-year term)
- The Allegan County Sheriff (permanent term)